Saturday, February 1, 2014

Excerpt from Eccentric Lady by Edna Curry
A Lacey Summers' PI Novel

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AN9ZPOE


She nodded, so I went through my usual spiel for the tape: “It’s Monday morning, April 18th. New client Patti Jones is about to explain her problem. State your name, address and phone numbers slowly and clearly for the tape, please.”

“Sure. I’m Patti Jones. I’m 25 and have my own interior design business in Chicago.” She rattled off her address, the address of her business and various phone numbers.

I explained my rates and she waved them aside as though money details were of no importance to her. “I can pay you, don’t worry about that.” Pulling out a checkbook, she wrote a check for my retainer and laid it on my desk, saying, “I just need someone to believe me and help me find Agnes. She just has to be okay!”

I tucked her check in my purse. “What makes you think she isn’t?”

Again her lip trembled and she bit down on it to control it. “She told me to meet her for dinner Saturday night at a hotel in the Twin Cities. We were going shopping at Maplewood Mall afterward. We often do that, meet somewhere, I mean. She likes to get away from this little burg and spend a weekend in a hotel once in a while. Sometimes we go shopping, sometimes we see a play or a movie, or go to the symphony.”

“I see. But this time she didn’t meet you there?”

Patti shook her head. “No. And she never showed up at her hotel, either. She’d made reservations for both of us. I kept calling her cell phone, but she didn’t answer. Nor did she cancel her reservation or answer my emails. Something is very wrong, I just know it.”
http://sneak-peek-sunday.blogspot.com/


 

No comments: